Setting Your Preferences
You can set your general D2L preferences from My Home by clicking the Preferences link in the My Settings widget.
General Preferences Tab
Options on this tab are not related to a specific tool.
- Online Status: Changes your online status so that you appear offline even when you are logged into the system.
- CD-ROM Drive: Select the drive letter used by your computer's CD-ROM drive. This setting is used when you view course content that references files on a course CD. This may not be applicable for Mac users.
Appearance & Accessibility
- Font Settings: Adjusting the font face and font size changes the default font and size of the text. It does not affect images, documents, and other objects such as math equations.
- Dialog Setting: The Show secondary window as selector enables secondary windows as pop-ups instead of dialog boxes. This setting helps screen readers and other assistive technologies separate the content of the secondary window from the main window. If you are using assistive technology such as a screen reader, we strongly recommend showing secondary windows as pop-ups.
- HTML Editor Settings: The HTML editor enables you to enter text and HTML in the system. It has many additional rich text features, if you use assistive technology such as screen readers, some of these features might be difficult to navigate.
- Math Display: You can display Math using a Java Applet or inline MathML. We recommend MathML If you are using assistive technology.
Note: Firefox supports the display of inline MathML. Other browsers require the Java applet to render equations.
Language & Region
- Preferred Locale and Language: Sets which locale to use for screen orientation, text, and graphics in the system. Your options correspond to the locale options available at your institution. Administrative staff and course designers can override your preferences for specific pages and courses.
- Time Zone: Sets all dates that include times to correspond with the time zone you specify in Learning Environment.
- Email Notifications: Enables you to add or change the email address the notifications are delivered to and set the frequency you receive them.
- Notification Events: Selects the events for which you would like to be notified.
- Show the discussion topics list: Sets whether you want to see a list of topics in a left panel when reading messages.
- Show the search bar: Sets whether you want to show a search bar in the Message List view.
- Show the preview pane: If you are not showing message text on the main page, this option enables you to specify whether to see the full message in a preview pane at the bottom of the page, or to see the full message in a secondary window.
- Default Message: List View Specifies how you want to visually represent the message hierarchy within the Message List view. Threaded View indents sub-topics underneath their parent topics, whereas Un-threaded View does not.
- Message List Style: Specifies whether to show the text for discussion messages in the main page, or just the titles.
- Message Fields to Display: You can choose to display the Message ID of the discussion messages in the Message List view.
- Character Limits: Specifies the character limit of each message subject in the Message List view.
- Reply Settings: Sets whether you want to include original messages with your replies.
- Email Signature: Creates an email signature to include at the bottom of your email messages.
- Incoming Page Icon: Sets whether the Incoming Page icon appears in your navbar. Clearing the Incoming Page Icon check box means you must check for pages manually through the Pager tool.
- Incoming Page Sound: Sets what sound the system plays when you have an incoming page.
Creating Your Personal Profile
- From My Home, click the Profile link in the My Settings widget.
- Fill in the text fields.
- To upload a picture, click the Change Picture button, locate and select the desired image, and click Upload.
- When you are finished, click Save.
Note: You can also edit your profile from the Classlist by clicking on your image.