The Pager Tool
The Pager tool is like an instant messaging (IM) service that allows you to determine whether other students are connected to D2L at the same time you are and allows you to contact them at will. You will be able to pose questions to others on a one-to-one basis, removing some of the the anxiety normally found in a classroom setting.
Use the Pager to:
- get a quick response from someone who is currently online.
- invite another person to the Chat room for a quick meeting.
- send a note of encouragement to someone who is also working away in the middle of the night!
- check who's currently online in your list of contacts.
How does the Pager Tool differ from the Email Tool?
Fundamentally, the difference between the Pager tool and Email is the notion of synchronous verses asynchronous communication. This means that when you use the Pager tool, you are aware that other students have logged in and are willing to accept messages. Unlike Email, Pager messages can only be sent to students who are logged into D2L and are accepting messages. If students are not logged in, you do not have the ability to send them messages.
The Pager tool icon will appear on the top right side of the course navigational bar. If you click the Pager icon, a new window will open that features the Pager tool.
From the Pager tool window, do one of the following:
- Select the users from your Friends list and click the Send a message to all selected users icon, or
- Click on a contact’s name.
You may then type a message and click Send.
You may receive incoming pager notifications through a pager sound (which you can change in the My Preferences tool). Additionally, the Pager icon will change how it displays when you have a page waiting. Read an incoming page by clicking the Pager link or Pager icon on your course navigation bar.
You can view your Pager logs by clicking the a user’s name from your Friends tab. You then click View All to view the paging history with that user.
You can set up a list of Pager Personal Contacts:
- Click the Add Friend icon on the Pager tool Friends window.
- Enter a Username and click Add to add the user to your friends list.
- Select the users you want to remove from the Pager tool Friends window.
- Click the Remove all selected users from your Friends list icon.
Now that you're familiar with the Pager tool, let's look at the Chat tool next.