Communication Tools Practice Review
This tool allows you to post and read asynchronous messages to and from other students and your instructor in the course. If you select the Discussions link from the Communication dropdown menu on the course navbar, you will see a list of discussion topics. Select a topic to see a list of posted messages within that topic. Messages may be part of a discussion thread. Threads are a series of replies to the same subject, allowing students to more easily follow the discussion from start to finish.
- To read a message that has already been posted, select its hyperlink. The message will then be displayed.
- To display any messages that were just sent, select the Refresh button.
- To start a new thread and post the message, select Compose. When you are done writing your message, choose Post.
- To reply to a posted message without starting a new thread, select the Reply button.
This tool allows you to communicate in real-time with your instructor and classmates.
- Open Pager. Select Friends and Classlist and see who is online.
- You may receive incoming pager notifications through a red dot on the Messages icon on the minibar.
- Type a message and choose the Send button.
- Close the Pager window.
This tool also allows you to communicate in real-time with your instructor and classmates, usually in a class or group arrangement.
- Open Chat. Notice your name appears in the Participant List.
- Set your entry chime preference for notification when someone else enters the chat. Hint: select Settings.
- Type a message and select Send or hit ENTER on your keyboard.
- Select Exit Chat to return to the main Chats List page.
This tool allows you to communicate by email with your instructor and classmates. This is an internal, course-specific email system, meaning that you can't send or receive "outside" emails.
- Access Email from the Communication dropdown menu on the course navbar.
- Create a message and browse for recipients. Select yourself from the list.
- Preview the message and then send it.
- Select the Refresh button to receive your message.
This tool allows you to communicate in real-time with your instructor and classmates. It is similar to Instant Messaging.
- Access Classlist from the Communication dropdown menu on the course navbar. Check to see if anyone else online right now by looking for thegreen dot icon next to their name.
- Change your status.
Congratulations! You have completed the Communication Tools Practice Review. You're ready to start using the communication tools in Desire2Learn. Let's look at Evaluation Tools next.
Please note: This is the last page of content in this learning module. To navigate to the next learning module, select the 4. Evaluation Tools link on the navigation bar to the left.